Eviction Information

On January 29, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom signed legislation (SB 91) to extend the state’s eviction moratorium through June 30, 2021. The legislation prohibits landlords from evicting tenants who pay at least 25% of their rent and attest that they face financial hardship because of COVID-19.

The legislation also provides $2.6 billion in rent subsidies to small property owners in need of assistance to pay for their mortgage. The rent subsidy will pay landlords 80% of the total amount of past-due rent from low-income tenants from April 2020-March 2021 as long as landlords agree to forgive the remaining 20% and not pursue evictions.

Applications for the new rent relief program will be available on the state’s Housing Is Key website, and the state expects to begin accepting them in March 2021.

This legislation builds on Governor Newsom’s previous executive order authorizing local governments to halt evictions for renters impacted by the pandemic, as well as previous legislation (AB 3088) that was set to expire.

A copy of the legislation can be found here. A copy of the State’s announcement can be found here.